Full-Time Nursery / Greenhouse Grower
Plant Delights Nursery, Inc., a perennial plant nursery established in Raleigh in 1988, offering unique, rare, well grown and properly named perennials to passionate gardeners around the world has an open position for a permanent full-time Nursery / Greenhouse Grower.
The grower is in charge of all containerized plant production at Plant Delights Nursery from the time plants arrive on the property until they leave. This is a detail oriented position that requires excellent communication and task prioritization skills, and a thorough understanding of growing and watering of a wide array of containerized plants. The ideal candidate will have excellent problem solving skills and a strong aptitude for greenhouse plant production. The candidate must be familiar with products and techniques used to maintain plant health as well as understand and adhere to label directives on each product. They must also possess a North Carolina Pesticide Applicator License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire date. Successful candidates must have a four year horticulture or related degree or a 2 year horticulture degree with at least 2 years of grower experience. They must have strong problem solving skills, be inquisitive, self-motivated and be able to efficiently supervise staff.
• Prioritize all aspects of growing operation with direction from nursery manager and efficiently supervise nursery assistants.
• Oversee all aspects of greenhouse watering (automatic and hand watering) including supervision of waterers.
• Regularly scout greenhouses (including propagation and specialty areas) and address issues found in a timely manner.
• Manage crop nutrition (including nursery wide fertilization) and monitor with routine pH/salts monitoring program.
• Schedule crop production times and plant cutbacks so as not to interfere with shipping and open house days.
• Correctly use plant growth regulators to improve plant quality and reduce number of cutbacks.
• Coordinate with plant healthcare specialist and assist as needed with pesticide applications.
• Advise stocking supervisor, inventory control specialist and production supervisor regarding crop availability and / or plant problems.
• Communicate with industry and academic experts as needed to solve or prevent problems.
• Alert nursery manager of all issues related to crop availability and plant problems.
• Monitor greenhouse environmental conditions and alert maintenance and facilities specialist and nursery manager of any abnormal conditions.
• Maintain accurate written records and schedules of duties performed.
Compensation: $34,000 – $36,000 Annually
How to ApplySend cover letter and resume with a detailed description of work history along with 3 professional references to Admin@PlantDelights.com. Please review the following information PRIOR to sending your resume: No walk in applications accepted. Resumes accepted by email only. How long will it take before my resume is reviewed? In general, we try to look at all resumes within 48 - 72 hours. If a resume is received after the position has moved to the interview phase, or if we've received an extremely large volume of responses, your resume review may take longer. Will I receive a response either way if I am being considered or not? Once your resume is reviewed and it is determined that you are qualified for the position, you will be contacted to set up an interview. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of resumes that we receive, we are unable to provide an individual response to every candidate.
203 total views, 1 today