Full-Time Seasonal Integrated Pest Management Specialist
Juniper Level Botanic Garden is a world-class botanic garden that boasts a collection of more than 30,000 different plants. It is also the home of Plant Delights Nursery, Inc., a mail-order perennial plant nursery that offers unique, rare, well-grown and properly-named perennials to passionate gardeners around the world.
The Garden team at Juniper Level Botanic Garden is seeking a Seasonal Integrated Pest Management Assistant help the IPM Specialist manage the health and safety of the plants in the Garden here in south Raleigh, NC (up to 40 hours a week, from Monday – Friday).
Qualified candidates must be physically durable, have a tolerance for a wide range of outdoor weather (including the summer heat and winter chill of Raleigh, NC), have a good work ethic, a friendly personality, and be able to work well with others. Qualified candidates must also be able to lift 50 lbs. and pay attention to detail while working at a fast pace.
Preference will be given to applicants with horticultural or garden experience and a Valid NC Pesticide Applicators License, but a passion to learn and gain more experience in the field of horticulture is more than welcome. This person will work under the supervision of the IPM Specialist.
Compensation: Starting at $13 per hour
- Taking appropriate and timely action to prevent damage to the Collections from weeds, insects and diseases
- Scouting and treating for weeds, insects, and diseases in garden beds and lawns
- Scouting, treating for and reporting stressed/declining plants to Garden Curator
- Determining best treatment options for each pest situation, always opting for biological/less toxic options
- Recording pesticide treatments, results, and monitor efficacy in Excel log sheet
- Submitting pest samples to the Pest and Disease Clinic at N.C. State as needed
- Administering the vole control program, including scouting and treating
- Treating for fire ants throughout the property
- Following all legal pesticide requirements, including posting of ‘Do Note Enter’ signs, record chemicals used, and use of proper PPE (at least boots, mask, and long gloves)
- Assisting with Nematode Control Program
- Monitoring turf for pest/disease pressure
- Monitoring turf for overly dry/wet areas
- Other duties as assigned by IPM Specialist and Garden Curator
We are looking for people who:
- Communicate well
- Think critically
- Are responsible
- Are respectful
- Have an attention and respect for detail
- Are excited to learn
- Have experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Can work independently and are self-driven
Standard Business Hours: Monday – Friday 8 am – 5 pm
How to ApplySend resume with work history to email@example.com
298 total views, 1 today